Author Topic: Simple solution.  (Read 225 times)

Offline tomcat

• Activity:
    11.43%
  • Bike(s): BMW F850GS sport

Simple solution.

« on: September 29, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
Not on call for work until this evening, I thought it right and proper I take the new bike out for an airing.

Weather excellent, a ride to the West of the county and lunch meet with my youngest son.

Whilst I'm out, I'll conduct a small shopping trip to get a few essentials in for the weekend.

I attached the smaller of my Givi boxes to the rear rack. All ready to go. Where to put the luggage key?

I recall the last BMW I owned, other than worn tyres, the only marks from use were where keys had rubbed the paintwork near the ignition barrel.

Not wanting to suffer the same issue again, I sought an easy solution. A section of soft pvc piping, cut to length and slid over the key blade was all that was needed.

A bike is for life, not just for summer.

Offline Events

• Activity:
    5.71%
  • Bike(s): BMW - R100R & K75

Re: Simple solution.

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
Hi
I did that when I used a disc lock. 

You need to remnove the tube to operate the disk lock so slide the plastic tube on to the ignition key.

When you come to start the bike to ride off the key wont go in the hole, so you remember the disc lock is applied-- I never rode off with the lock on

Events
Old BMW rider from North Manchester

Offline tomcat

• Activity:
    11.43%
  • Bike(s): BMW F850GS sport

Re: Simple solution.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
Good thinking there. An idiot proof(ish) way to avoid embarrassment.

Having measured the length of the two key blades, the width and the thickness, it would appear that a man with the right skills could key match the luggage locks to the ignition key.

The skill set rules me out. I know the very man to employ though, at Morecambe.  ;D
A bike is for life, not just for summer.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24