Author Topic: Bikesure phone quotes beat comparison sites.  (Read 5800 times)

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Inventor of hi-vis underpants for bikers.
  • Bike(s): Kawasaki KLV 1000. Honda FJS 600 Silver Wing

Bikesure phone quotes beat comparison sites.

« on: March 02, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »
Insurance for my Pan European and KLV1000 is due in a few days. Hastings sent me a renewal quote of 195... a few pounds more than last year and even more on the year before that.  :(

So I set aside yesterday to sort out my insurance... yes, it helps if you make time to do it every couple of years or so. Insurance companies have a way of gradually increasing your premiums every year.  :o :o :o ::)

I went on the comparison sites but found it difficult to get a quote for two bikes - a.k.a. a multi-bike policy. I had to do the bikes individually  >:(  >:(. Even so, it worked out around 150 but with 500 (or far more!) total excess and no legal or personal accident cover - just the basic comprehensive cover.

To be fair to Hastings, when I phoned they did say there was "room for movement" on my quote and mentioned a rough figure of 160 but again, no "extras".  Later, I discover Hastings had made a mistake and given me 1 years less No Claims Bonus than I was entitled to for the last 3 years! NOT Impressed  >:(

On the comparison sites, Bikesure didn't come out as the cheapest, but not far off so I decided to give them a call. I spoke to Kirsten and mentioned I was on the forum and what could they do for me?

After a bit of a lengthy detail taking process (definitely helps to have EVERYTHING at hand) she said she'd get back to me and did so a short while later.

The quote was 153 comprehensive cover on both bikes with a total excess of 350 per bike, 5k mileage on the KLV 1000, 2k mileage on the ST1100, 100k legal cover, 12.5k personal accident cover, 90 days Euro cover, and Third Party cover for other bike riding. All limitations are adjustable and other things such as No Claims Bonus protection, clothing/helmet cover can be added as optional extras. For the record, I have no affiliation or connection with Bikesure. I just saw the posts on LancsBiker forum.

Although other comparison site quotes were as cheap or a bit cheaper, Bikesure came up with the "add-ons" that made it the best value, IMHO.

I'm very happy with my result, so get on the phone to them for really competitive deals. My car insurance is due in July and I'll be contacting them about that also.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

"Not all one reads upon the Internet has truth in it" ... William Shakespeare.

Offline ossianuk

• Activity:
    0%
  • Better to Wear out than Rust Out
  • Bike(s): Yamaha FJR1300

Re: Bikesure phone quotes beat comparison sites.

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »
That's an encouraging outcome Paul, nice to see a company with a presence on the forum give a good deal ;D
Also known as Tony
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Offline pie_man

• Activity:
    0%
  • Bike(s): Bavarian Tractor 1200GS

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
5k mileage on the KLV 1000, 2k mileage on the ST1100,

Please elaborate what this means. Is it a theory of probability  :-\ :-\. How does this mileage thing work.  ???
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Offline Tricky34

• Activity:
    0%
  • Bike(s): Triumph Daytona 955i

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
Will try and remember to take a look at that, after all the tooting and froing I had last year with Carole Nash as to whether or not they would accept my shed as a Garage. I got there in the end, but I'm a bit dubious of how I would stand if I just auto renewed.

Sometimes its better to call just to make sure they have all the facts straight.
Previous bikes: Honda melody 50, CB450 dx, CBR400, CB600 Hornet, CBR600FM.

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Activity:
    0%

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
5k mileage on the KLV 1000, 2k mileage on the ST1100,

Please elaborate what this means. Is it a theory of probability  :-\ :-\. How does this mileage thing work.  ???

I was asked how many miles I do on the bikes each year. I gave them an approximation of the mileage I expect to do on each bike. They quoted a price with regard to how many miles are covered - less mileage would presumably be cheaper. 

If I find I'm going over then I can just call them and ask to adjust it. It would add to the expense but I suppose it can keep prices down for more infrequent users?

That's the way I understand it anyhow.   

Offline pie_man

• Activity:
    0%

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
mmmmm I wonder if you would incur an admin fee to change the mileage  ??? Would you get a rebate if the mileage isn't achieved, I don't think so
So it is based upon a balance of probability, more use, more weight equals bigger premium  :o . Less you pay the less you ride  :-\

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Offline Preston Paul

• Activity:
    0%
  • Bike(s): Suzuki GSX-S1000

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:31:18 PM »
had a similar prob recently and ended up paying 100 to increase my mileage mid term from 10k to 20k had I done this at inception I would have only been charged an xtra 30.
Conclusion is cheaper to add miles initially than to add miles later.
Also not many people realise that with some insurers providing multi-bike cover the no-claims is often only on one of the bikes and should a change of insurer be required say on one bike you may find yourself starting with no no-claims again on one bike.
I now insure both bikes individualy and have now have no-claims years on both bikes. It worked out cheaper 2!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:40:22 PM by Preston Paul »

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Activity:
    0%

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
Both Pie_man and Preston Paul have made good points. I'm not sure of the answers (who amongst us is where insurance companies are concerned).

Preston Paul. My previous insurers had based my NCD on the most recently purchased bike. However, when I sussed this out they did apologise and rectified my NCB on their renewal notice. That's the mistake they made that I was not impressed with.

Pie_man. I don't know how much it would cost to increase the mileage allowance. Judging from Preston Paul's post, it would seem to be best to over-estimate and pay a few pounds more to begin with. I may contact them and ask about this.

It would be better if an actual Bikesure representative could  post on here and clarify things?

Offline LancsBiker

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Roll on Summer!
    • http://www.lancsbiker.co.uk
  • Bike(s): GSX-R 600 K8

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:07:15 AM »
Both Pie_man and Preston Paul have made good points. I'm not sure of the answers (who amongst us is where insurance companies are concerned).

Preston Paul. My previous insurers had based my NCD on the most recently purchased bike. However, when I sussed this out they did apologise and rectified my NCB on their renewal notice. That's the mistake they made that I was not impressed with.

Pie_man. I don't know how much it would cost to increase the mileage allowance. Judging from Preston Paul's post, it would seem to be best to over-estimate and pay a few pounds more to begin with. I may contact them and ask about this.

It would be better if an actual Bikesure representative could  post on here and clarify things?

@Bikesure could you help to clarify these points please?

Offline Bikesure

• Activity:
    0%
    • Bikesure

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
@Bikesure could you help to clarify these points please?
[/quote]

Of course I would be happy to.

Preston Paul - We can offer multi-bike policies but you are correct in saying that the no claims bonus would only be used on the one bike. Otherwise each bike would have to be insured separately to accrue it's own NCB.

Pie_man - I cannot say for definite what the charge would be for making amendments, as this differs dependent on scheme and underwriter, as well as the change you wish to make (upping a 1500 mile policy to 3000 miles would be less than upping it to 10000 miles etc). Our own fee for making amendments is 25 so it would be this plus the charge from the insurer.

Offline pie_man

• Activity:
    0%

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
I honestly think FPM has got a very good deal  :)  Just the mileage side of it sucks  :o

There's just no pleasing some folk is there  ;D ;D ;D

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Activity:
    0%

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »
Hmmm, just been working it out and, going by the last year, I need around 7k mileage limit on my KLV 1000. I also have to confirm my No Claims Bonus from the previous company. Will have to get in touch with them again.

As the policy hasn't started yet.  Hopefully it won't be too pricey.  ::)

Offline LancsBiker

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Roll on Summer!
    • http://www.lancsbiker.co.uk
  • Bike(s): GSX-R 600 K8

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:09:45 PM »
Hmmm, just been working it out and, going by the last year, I need around 7k mileage limit on my KLV 1000. I also have to confirm my No Claims Bonus from the previous company. Will have to get in touch with them again.

As the policy hasn't started yet.  Hopefully it won't be too pricey.  ::)
Great to see that Bikesure replied so promptly! Thanks for that. Hopefully, that answers your question.

Damn, you've got a stonking deal, costs me 400 just to insure my one bike, I think that has a 5k mile limit, not that I do anything even in this ballpark - I'm insured with Bikesure too. I've found them to be great, AXA are my underwriters, who also insure my car - they have also been very good.

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think they charge for changes to a policy that hasn't started yet. I think it's something to do with Distance Selling Regs and your "cooling-off" period. Worth a check - I might be wrong though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:26:15 AM by LancsBiker »

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Activity:
    0%

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 02:22:29 AM »
Great to see that Bikesure replied so promptly! Thanks for that. Hopefully, that answers your question.

Damn, you've got a stonking deal, costs me 400 just to insure my one bike...

Yep, Bikesure gave me a good deal, but remember this is one of those areas where being a little older is a good thing (and there aint too many of those around!). You'll just have to be patient until you get to my age  :P

Another good retirement thingie is the Mid-Week meets we have on here  ;D  On the other hand, that's why my mileage is going up  :o

Offline choogh

• Activity:
    0%
  • Bike(s): BMW R1200RT.... VIRAGO 535. 2off.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 02:17:49 PM »
What's this nonsense regarding "only one bike can have a no claims bonus"???.
Bikes are inanimate objects, they do ziltch without a RIDER...
It's clear that the NCB should be attached to a named rider/driver. And NOT to any individual motorcycle... It's an insurance scam..
And while I'm on a roll,.. The declared annual mileage is another scam.. I declared a 3k annual milage, however within a few months I used the milage up and phoned for another 3k miles of cover.
The broker insisted that the "new" total mileage was now 6k,and therefore attracted a higher premium than a standard 3k mileage cover...Bull...t!!  They agreed an original 3k of cover, the premium being payed out right and up front. That cover had been and gone, no claims accident etc.
I therefore maintain, that any second cover should be seen as the same risk as the original cover and NOT as an additional risk due to 6k of exposure....
Another Insurance scam.. We should join force and stop this stealing.
Rant over..
Loro sono tra noi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal